Sunday, May 27, 2007

Movie: Love Comes Softly

This was the movie we watched together in our cell group last Friday. We initially planned to watch the "Amazing Grace", but were unable to rent the movie in the Blockbuster nor the Rogers video store.

It is a story about a young woman (Marty) on her way to a new life in the West, who suddenly finds herself a widow. With no other options, she accepted the marriage proposal of widower (Clark), who offered her a place to stay for the Winter and provided her with the fare for the wagon train heading back East in the Spring. In exchange, he wanted her to provide a maternal influence for his young daughter Missie.

The love story is really touching, but it is Clark's faith that attracts me. A scene that is memorable is when Clark takes Marty to his "church," a bench that faces a beautiful view, and explains his faith to her:
"Missie (his daughter) could fall down and hurt herself, even if I were right there beside her. That doesn't mean I allowed it to happen. But she knows, with her father's unconditional love, I'll pick her up and carry her. I'll try to heal her. I'll cry when she cries. And I'll rejoice when she is well. In all the moments of my life, God has been right there beside me. The truth of God's love is not that he allows bad thing to happen, it's his promise that he'll be there with us when they do."

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails